Ben Kohler clinically finishes for Maccabi

Maccabi London FC Blue got their Premier Division league campaign up running with a 7-2 victory against Faithfold White at Rowley Lane.

Ben Kohler and Max Kyte bagged braces in a deserved triumph against previously undefeated Faithfold. Joe Salomon, with the pick of the bunch, Benji Weinberger, Ben Schwarzman struck the other Maccabi goals.

The visitors scored through Avi Garson and an own goal.

“It was great to get the ball rolling finally with a great win,” commented Maccabi joint-player-manager Max Kyte. “But we can play far better and were disappointed with the goals conceded.”

“We were brought back down to earth by what seemed a completely different Maccabi XI but weren’t at the races today,” noted Faithfold player-manager Avi Markiewicz.

North London Galaxy were in scintillating form as they thumped Bayern Mincha 13-0 in Division One.

Galaxy lead the way on goal difference after three successive wins from North London Raiders.

Hertswood Vale are also on nine points having played a game more.

There were braces for Luke Lewis, Zac Rose, Nick Barnett, one a 30-yard humdinger, Sammy Huberman. Dylan Kaye, Bailey Snow, Zack Nathan, Jordan Aspis and Josh Burchhardt also hit the target in a clinical display.

“Fair play to Mincha for doing their best, we wish them all the best for the rest of the season,” said Lewis, who scored two long range efforts. “We played well with lots of first goals for the club. Nathan and Snow got their first goals for the club, a special moment for both.
“It was lovely for lads who haven’t had much game time. Huberman impressed and was a handful all game, Snow did an excellent job at centre back then in the latter stages in midfield and up front.”
Vale came from behind to edge SPEC FC 3-2 in a hard fought clash.

Two goals from sharpshooter James Millet and a Harry Graham effort earned the spoils.

Vale bossed possession after SPEC took the lead though Jamie Smaje inside three minutes.

Millet fired home a freekick from outside the area into the bottom corner for the equaliser on 18 minutes then took the lead on the stroke of half time through Graham, firing home a loose ball from 25 yards for his first goal of the season.
Spec began the second half strongly but Vale grabbed a crucial third goal approaching the hour. Jack Winton found Millet surprised SPEC’s keeper with an early shot for a 3-1 lead.
Vale pushed for a fourth goal but a lack of concentration saw Zach Neiman grab SPEC’s second on 78 minutes.

SPEC put Vale under intense pressure in search for an equaliser but the hosts held out.
“It’s never an easy game against Spec,” commented Vale’s Jacob Emmanual. “Ricky Lawrence’s team put us to the test in a match that always brings goals. SPEC are definitely a team to watch this season.”

SPEC player-manager Lawrence said Vale deserved the points.

“We improved in the second half but despite going a goal up early didn’t really get going until about 20 minutes left,” he noted. “They scored at critical moments in the game and we couldn’t recover.”

Mill Hill Dons came from behind at half time to share the spoils with Brook Farm Rovers in a 2-2 draw.

Alon Pinhas opened the scoring with a deflected cross only for Zach Cohen to put Dons ahead with a brace.

Rovers hit back to equalise 10 minutes from time with a Philippe Auret tap in from a Dan Cohen free kick headed goalwards by Tomer Tricot.

Rovers almost won late on when a Philippe cross hit a post and bounced safely to the Dons keeper.

“On a terrible pitch and in very tough conditions, it wasn’t a pretty affair,” commented a Rovers spokesman. “Both sides struggled to play football and the goals were scrappy.

“Dons’ long throws caused problems but stood firm.  We snatched a deserved equaliser and had chances to win but it didn’t fall our way.

“It was a solid performance away from home, we’ll take the point and maintain our unbeaten run.”

The clash between Redbridge Jewish Care and North London Raiders was postponed with no referee available.

Only one point separates the top six teams in Division Two.

Temple Fortune lead FC Team and Scrabble on goal difference having played one more match.

Fortune went top with a 4-2 win over Faithfold Green thanks to a Jacob Kalms brace.

Daniel Vandermolen and Simon Cohen also hit the target.

“This was a really important win for us,” commented Steven Black: “We are beginning to put a run of form together and it’s pleasing to see the lift in confidence across the squad.”
Black was impressed by his team’s hunger and work-ethic.

“If we can keep up this level and consistency, who knows what we could achieve,” he added.

Scrabble overcame Paris Saint-Jewmain 3-1 to remain unbeaten.

An own goal from an Andrew Wolfin cross, Lloyd Becker penalty and Nigel Goldthorpe strike, following a goal-mouth scramble, put Scrabble in command.

The visitors grabbed a consolation 15 minutes from time.

Hampstead Ducks returned to winning ways with a 4-1 win over West Hamdillah.

A Jono Gaon hat-trick hero and Sam Gottlieb strike sealed a second league win in a battle of the new clubs.

“We’re happy with the points but it feels like a step backwards from performances we’ve put in over the last few weeks,” said Ducks manager Josh Cohen added. “We need to pick up our game and go back to the basics if we are going to have any chance of an upset against Oakwood on Sunday.”

Despite the defeat, Hamdillah boss Jonathan Baruch felt his team put in an improved performance.
“It was frustrating to concede three goals due to defensive miskicks inside 30 minutes,” he commented. “Had that not happened Hampstead would have had a serious game on their hands.
“We scored a great free kick and conceded only one goal in the second half.”

Baruch added, “The Ducks thought they would inflict another heavy loss to our team but we were stronger than they thought and were our own enemy today.”

North West London Bears led Club De Chigwell courtesy of a Sam Bookman goal but the referee abandoned the match on 70 minutes due to a skirmish that the league’s disciplinary committee will investigate.

In Cyril Anekstein Cup action, HMH booked a second round spot following a comfortable 4-0 win at Division Two Borussia Barnet.

Adam Ellis scored his first goal for the club.

Josh Goldstein, Oscar Wagner and George Goldberg also hit the target for Avi Goldberg’s charges.

Underdogs Borussia battled away in the first half before HMH pressure eventually told when Ellis opened the scoring with a superb strike on the stroke of half-time.

HMH dominated the second half. Goldstein fired home a 25-yard free kick, Wagner made 3-0, Goldberg completed the scoring.

“We avoided a potential banana skin and romped home in the end,” commented HMH boss Avi Goldberg. “Most importantly it was another clean sheet.

“Lots of credit to Max Foster in defence who made an awesome Man of the Match debut marshalling the defence. Our goalkeeper Alex Davies was in control and maded a very important save at 2-0. “Borussia put up a spirited fight for 30 minutes but once we found our rhythm there was only going to be one winner. In the end, it could and should have been more.

“On today’s first half, I expect Borussia to be challenging for honours, we wish them the best of luck.”
“We felt really unlucky,” said a Borussia spokesman. “At 0-0, we had a goal disallowed because of a questionable overhead wire decision. We were the better team in the first half but after an Ellis wonder strike holes started to appear.

“Full credit to HMH, they’re a brilliant side but we gave them a proper battle.”

The second round of the London FA Sunday Challenge Cup brought no joy for MGBSFL teams.

Kenningwell United thumped Premier Division champions Hendon United Sports 8-0.

Kenningwell opened the scoring with a good finish, then scored with two superb strikes.

Hendon had a penalty appeal turned down after Josh Bharier was taken out but the referee waved away appeals.

Kenningwell struck twice after the break to settle the tie although Hendon’s task got tougher when Zac Garbacz was sent off. Kenningwell added to the score late on.

Sapler was frank about the result.

“Some games you just can’t compete with the opposition and today was one of those,” he said. “We started really well and played some good football without being effective in the final third.

“We haven’t been tested at all this season, we’ve been walking through games in second gear and today came across the best Sunday League team I’ve seen play.

“We couldn’t compete with the skill, physicality and speed of their players but it was heartening to see that when it came to the basics of playing football we weren’t far off.

“It’s back to the league on Sunday when we will look to bounce back.”

Oakwood went out of the competition 5-4 penalties after a 3-3 draw against Phoenix Knights FC.

Winchmore defeated Fairlop FC 6-1, Joel Russell hitting a consolation for the visitors, Hackney Wednesday overcame FC Team 6-0.

By David Saffer