Division One sides Faithfold A and Redbridge Jewish Care B must replay their league match after referee Luke Steele abandoned the game due to a serious injury on 70 minutes.
League leaders Faithfold had dominated the game and were leading through a David Leiwy penalty when Redbridge central midfielder Daniel Cooper suffered knee damage.
Cooper was transported to hospital by ambulance and is now recuperating.
League officials have ruled the match result will not stand and must be played at a future date.
“Dan’s on crutches and its upsetting when a player receives a bad injury,” said Redbridge boss Richard Bronzite. “We’re waiting for results of tests before we know how long he’ll be out of action.”
“The ref was right to call the game off,” added Josh Hambling of Redbridge. “Dan was in immense pain and it will be a long road back to recovery.”
“I would like to wish their player a speedy recovery, he twisted his knee badly and was clearly in a lot pain so our thoughts are with him.” commented Faithfold player-manager Avi Markiewicz. “When the injury happened it seemed innocuous at first. I saw him down and told our player to knock the ball out. As I got nearer it became clear this wasn’t a regular injury. Both teams were happy to wait and the referee felt that the game should be abandoned. “
As for the match, Markiewicz said, “ We got our goal through Leiwy after great work down the right. David powered it into the top corner. We played exceptionally well and dominated throughout but the scoreline didn’t reflect the performance. Redbridge cleared the ball off the line on a number of occasions and I don’t believe they had a shot on target.”
Hambling noted, “We started okay but couldn’t get our foot on the ball or pass it around efficiently enough. We made silly mistakes in possession and they pressed high up the pitch.
“Our defence did come under attack but we held our shape and handled the threats. The second half we acquitted ourselves better and I’m sure it would have been a frantic end.
“They’re a well-drilled team and play some good football, I’m sure they’ll be up there come the end of the season but just behind us.”
In other Division Two clashes, Oakwood B routed Redbridge Jewish Care C 5-1.
Sam Cantor and Sam Modlin scored two goals each. Dan Ash also scored for the victors.
“It was really important to get a win on the board after a disappointing draw with L’Equipe,” said Oakwood manager Jason Stein.
“We’re doing okay this year and scoring lots of goals. We’ve got 14 in four games but must cut out the silly mistakes.
“The attitude was good and I’m obviously pleased to win. We’ve just got to keep our heads up and keep ploughing on. I’m really pleased with the group of lads we’ve got this year.”
North London Raiders B won 6-2 at L’Equipe.
Scott Waissel (2), David Esterkin, Jake Gilbert, Rob Blackman and Danny Bloom for Raiders.
Maccabi London Lions Blue picked up a second win of the season with a 4-2 triumph at North London Raiders A in the only Premier Division match.
Josh Bloom (2), Michael Kenley and Ed Brafman also scored for Maccabi who moved into fourth spot following the win.
“Coming off a few tough results these past few weeks we knew we had to react and did that well today,” said manager Samuel Marchant
“The first 15 minutes were a bit sloppy, but we managed to find our feet and played a good game. Kenley scored a lovely placed side-foot volley from a cross before half time, and Brafmans header just after half-time was a boost.
“We conceded a sloppy goal but reacted well. Bloom sealed the game with two goals.
“We are happy to get this result and get back to winning ways.”
In Division Two, there were away wins in all four clashes.
League leaders Catford and Bromley Maccabi picked up a 4-1 win at Temple Fortune B with three goals in the second half.
Jamie Sinai, Alex Jacobs, Mitch Green and Jason Shoffman struck for Catford.
“It was another disappointing result for us,” commented Darren Zitren.
“To go in level at half-time after scoring from great link up play between Ant Beilin and Adam Lenz, who scored with a fine finish from a tight angle, and to end the half on top against top of the league, it was frustrating to concede 15 minutes into the second half.
“From there, heads dropped and a failure to clear our lines resulted in another goal for Catford in quick succession. The final goal came close the end of the game.”
He added, “The result is not a true reflection of the game and the lads deserve credit today. We will be uniting as a squad over the next week.
“Don’t write us off yet. We have great depth in the squad and will continue to battle right to the end of each match. Results will come.”
Bayern Mincha won 4-1 at North London Raiders C to stay just a point adrift of top spot.
Jake Dayan (2), Josh Levy (2).
Real Hendon’s Benny Goldberg struck twice in a 3-0 win at bottom club Boca Jewniors, Faithfold B came from behind to win 3-1 at Hertswood Vale with goals from Moshe Lewis (2) and Rob Cohen.
“The second goal from Moshe was an absolute screamer into the top corner after dribbling past two defenders,” said Avi Garson of Faithfold.
In the Peter Morrison Cup, Division Two newcomers Fairlop FC caused the shock of the first round with a penalty shoot out triumph after a 3-3 draw with three time winners Hendon Sports United.
Top flight Hendon took the lead three times only to be pegged back on each occasion.
The first Fairlop goal came from debutant James Jaconelli who hammered home a stunning Ryan Cole cross, defender Max Freedman leveled the scores at 2-2 with a header, then when it looked like the cup dream was over, Brad Gayer found Freedman who needed no invitation to slam home his second goal of the game on 96 minutes to take the game into extra time.
Fairlop keeper Scott Shear sent the match into penalties with a last gasp save.
Shear was then a hero of the shoot out with two wonder saves.
And successful spot kicks from Freedman, Gayer and Aaron Dias, Jaconelli swept home the winning penalty to spark wild scenes among Fairlop players and fans.
“I’m so proud and happy for all the players and our ever growing fan base,” said thrilled Fairlop boss Aaron Dias. “We knew it was going to be tough today and to be fair to Hendon have some top quality players with lots of experience at this level but our pure passion and determination won us this football match.”
“The new boys were excellent. Max (Freedman) got crucial goals, Daniel Bean was once again a joy to watch in the middle alongside Matt Berkeley and both broke up play very well.
“Winning the league is our main aim but we have knocked out one of the favourites for the cup so all the boys are hoping for a local rival in the next round.”
In other cup ties, Redbridge Jewish Care A thumped Scrabble 7-1.
Nathan Sollosi (4), Sam Sollosi, Sam McCarthy and James Barkley.
“We did quite well but it was a rearguard action,” said Ray Abrahams, Scrabble manager.
“The draw wasn’t too kind to us this season and today we came up against a quality side.
“We did have several key players missing but I couldn’t ask any more from my players in terms of commitment and effort. That little extra bit of quality from a Premier Division side and some quality finishing in the end made all the difference.
“Although it’s nice to have a cup run our priority this season is the league and we will be looking for a positive response and reaction in our next league game in a fortnights time.”
A Danny Sherman hat-trick was the highlight for Camden Park as they eased past FC Team 5-2.
Dan Orgel and Max Saunders also scored.
Camden led 2-0 at the break but the score could have been different as FC Team missed two first half penalties.
The Premier team changed formation on the resumption and struck three goals to seal the tie. Jon Berger and Richard Salmon scored consolation for the visitors.
Los Blancos defeated Straw Hat Pirates 3-0, Alex Lewis, Josh Laurier and Daniel Sinclair scoring the goals.