Hull City have been relegated from the Premier League after suffering a crushing 4-0 defeat at Crystal Palace.

Marco Silva’s side needed to beat relegation rivals Palace away from home to garner any hopes of staying in the top flight beyond this season.

However, the nightmare of relegation struck in the South London, as they fell two goals behind before half-time, with an additional two late goals sealing their Championship fate.
The Tigers result against Crystal Palace sees them join Middlesbrough and Sunderland in tumbling down to the Championship as they were made to pay for a woeful opening half of the season.

Hull came into the campaign in a shambolic state after a pre-season takeover failed to materialise, leaving the team desperately trying to stake their claim in an ever-competitive transfer circus.

Former manager Mike Phelan was sacked in January after going two months without a win, with the club rooted to the bottom of the table.

But just when they needed to hold their nerve, Hull cracked under the pressure as they took just four points from their next five games to leave their survival hopes hanging by a thread.
That included a damaging 2-0 home to defeat to an already-relegated Sunderland which handed the initiative to Swansea.

And that defeat ultimately proved decisive for Hull as they were unable to raise themselves for the must-win game at Palace which sealed their fate.

Speaking after the game, Hull City boss Marco Silva said: “Today we came here to play one final and we started in a bad way. It gave Palace what they wanted for the match. They knew what was in it for them.

“We tried but conceded again and it finished the game. We tried to make changes at half-time for a small reaction. Possession is not enough. You have to take the right decisions. At this level it makes a difference.

“When the club came to me, we knew we were taking on a big risk. But we had one target, to stay in the Premier League. We did our best to improve the boys in the team and that was our job.”